Rohit Sharma Biography – Unquestionably, Rohit Sharma is the most accurate cricket ball hitter you will ever see. Nothing could be more enjoyable than to see the “Hitman” hit the ball over the covers.
Rohit Sharma Biography: Early Life, Career, Stats & Records
In limited-overs matches, Rohit Sharma currently serves as the Indian Cricket Team’s vice captain.
This Mumbai native’s story is nothing short of a movie in the making. From being lauded as a “gifted” youth to later being mocked by the pundits for his inconsistency, to now becoming a crucial cog in the Indian batting line up.
Rohit also serves as captain of the Mumbai Indians in the IPL. Sharma presently maintains the one Day Internationals record for highest individual score.
On November 13, 2023, he defeated Sri Lanka and amassed a record-breaking 264 runs off 173 balls. The only other player to register two double century in One Day Internationals is Rohit. Additionally, he is the only player to have 250+ ODI innings.
Rohit Sharma’s Family
- Rohit was born on April 30, 1987, in Maharashtra.
- He was born to Gurunath Sharma and Purnima Sharma.
- He speaks fluent Telegu.
- Rohit’s father was a caretaker of a transport firm storehouse.
- Rohit Sharma’s mother belongs to Visakhapatnam.
- He used to live with his grandparents and uncles in Borivali (Mumbai).
Rohit Sharma Wife
- Rohit Sharma is married to Ritika Sajdeh. She was born on 21 December 1987 to Bobby Sajdeh and Tina Sajdeh.
- Her brother Kunal Sajdeh works as a manager at IMG Reliance.
- After completing her education, Ritika joined her cousin’s company- Cornerstone Sport and Entertainment as a sports manager.
- Ritika met Rohit Sharma at a Reebok shoot in 2023. Her ‘Rakhi Brother’ Yuvraj Singh, had introduced them to each other.
- Sharma and Ritika started to date in 2023 after being friends for a while.
- They dated for six years before Rohit proposed to her at the Borivali Sports Club where he began his career.
- Rohit Sharma married Ritika on 13 December 2023 at a five-star hotel in suburban Bandra. Their wedding was blessed with visits from a number of cricket and Bollywood stars.
- After their marriage, Ritika manages her husband’s sports tours while also accompanying him at various matches.
- After 3 years in wedlock, the couple gave birth to a baby girl on 30 December 2023 and named her Samaira.
- Both Samaira and Ritika Sajdeh are seen encouraging Rohit from the stands in various matches for both India and Mumbai Indians.
Rohit Sharma Journey To Cricket
- In the initial days of his career, Rohit was coach by Dinesh Lad at the Swami Vivekanand International School, Mumbai. He taught Rohit without any coaching fee.
- It’s quite surprising that before becoming an opener batsman, Rohit was an off-spinner bowler.
- But coach Dinesh Lad noticed his batting ability and promoted him to open the innings. Rohit performed well in the Harris and Giles Shield school cricket tournaments and scored
- a century on debut as an opener.
- After a long time, he had bowled 2 overs of off Spin in the 1st test against England in 2023.
- In March 2023, Rohit made his List A debut for West Zone against Central Zone in Deodhar Trophy.
- In the same tournament, Sharma scored an unbeaten inning of 142 in 123 balls against North Zone at Udaipur. This gave Sharma an opportunity to represent India A at Abu Dhabi against Australia.
- Sharma was also named in the 30 man list for the upcoming ICC Champions Trophy tournament but failed to make the squad.
- Sharma made his India A debut against New Zealand A in a first-class match at Darwin in July 2023.
- Months later, Rohit made his Ranji Trophy debut for his Mumbai in the 2023–07 season and was a part of the victorious Mumbai team.
- Sharma has been a part of Mumbai’s Ranji Trophy team for his entire domestic career.
- Rohit was appointed team captain ahead of Mumbai for the 2023–14 season after the retirement of Ajith Agarkar.
- Rohit Sharma is the most successful captain in the Indian Premier League. He has won the IPL trophy five times, four times as the captain of the Mumbai Indians.
- Sharma’s IPL campaign started with the Deccan Chargers. He was the vice-captain and a key member of the DC squad which won the coveted trophy in its second season.
- In 2023, Sharma was purchased by the Mumbai Indians for Rs 20 Lakhs. However, his contribution to the Ambani-owned franchise has been invaluable.
- Sharma was given the captainship of the franchise and led the MI to glory.
- In 2023, he led Mumbai Indians to win the IPL title by beating Chennai Super Kings with a margin of 41 runs in the final.
- In 2023, the Mumbai Indians finished at the top of the table and also went on to win the final under his captaincy.
- Rohit Sharma and co became the most successful side in the IPL when they won it for the fifth time in 2023.
- Rohit Sharma leads the Mumbai Indians in the IPL 2023 which is scheduled to play from April 9, 2023.
- With the bat, Sharma leads from the front as an example. He has played 201 IPL matches, scoring 5249 runs at an average of 31.24 and a strike rate of 130.6. He has hit 39 half-centuries and a sole century.
Watch IPL 2023 Final: 26-ball 50 against CSK
Rohit Sharma’s International Career
- Rohit Sharma received his first ODI call-up against Ireland on 23 June 2023. Although he did not get to bat, India won the match by 8 wickets.
- At this point of time, Rohit Sharma used to bat in the middle-order. When he finally got a chance to bat against South Africa, Sharma was unable to play well as he got out at 8.
- Sharma scored his 1st half-century against Pakistan in November 2023 followed by a 39* against Australia and 70* against Sri Lanka in February 2023.
- His triple century in Ranji in 2023 ensured he returned to the ODI squad in 2023.
- This time Sharma took his chance as he scored his first ODI century (114) against Zimbabwe followed by another century against Sri Lanka (101*).
Rohit Sharma as ODI Captain
- On December 8, 2023, BCCI named Rohit Sharma as the skipper of the Indian white-ball cricket team after Virat Kohli stepped down from the T20I skipper role.
- Rohit Sharma is expected to lead the side in 3 match ODI series in the India tour of South Africa 2023-22 but as Rohit Sharma was ruled out of the South Africa tour owing to an injury KL Rahul has been appointed as India’s ODI skipper.
- On February 6, 2023, Rohit Sharma leads the Indian cricket team for the first time as the full-time captain in India vs West Indies 1st ODI match at Ahmedabad. Notably, this is also India’s 1000th ODI.
Missing Out 2023 World Cup
- However, Sharma was unable to show consistent performances leading him to miss out on the 2023 ICC Cricket World Cup.
- Post WC, Sharma’s career got a revival when MS Dhoni recalled him and promoted him as an opener in the 2023 ICC Champions Trophy. Rohit Sharma never turned back then.
- Sharma scored 177 runs in 5 innings at an average of 35.40 with two half-centuries, as India went on to lift its second Champions Trophy.
- The next year, Rohit scored 264 against Sri Lanka at the Eden Gardens, and in doing so surpassed Virender Sehwag’s 219 to become the highest-scoring batsman in an ODI. The record still stands, as nobody has been able to cross it.
- By the 2023 ICC World Cup in Australia and New Zealand, Rohit Sharma and Shikar Dhawan were the Men in Blue’s newest openers. The duo has opened for India in 105 innings, scoring 4708 runs at an average of 45.26.
- The achieved personal highest opening partnership of 210 runs was achieved against Pakistan in the Asia Cup 2023.
- In 2023, Rohit Sharma was named the Indian captain for the first time in his career. India won the ODI series 2-1 under his leadership.
- He again led India in the 2023 Asia Cup after Virat Kohli was rested after the England tour. India won the tournament after beating Bangladesh in the final.
Rohit Sharma in 2023 World Cup
- India were the favourites to win the 2023 Cricket World Cup, mainly due to the batting powerhouse of the top order.
- Sharma scored a century in the first match against South Africa.
- He scored a half-century in the second match against Australia followed by 140 against arch-rivals Pakistan.
- Sharma played a crucial role as India we unbeaten in the first five matches of the World Cup. In the 6th match against England, he scored 102 as India’s unbeaten record came to an end.
- Rohit scored two more centuries in the last two group stage matches against Bangladesh and Sri Lanka as India secured the top spot.
- Rohit finished as the tournament’s high scorer 648 runs.
- He scored 5 centuries and 2 half-centuries and is the only player to do so in a single World Cup.
- The hitman finished as the batsman with the most ODI runs in 2023. He scored 1490 runs in 27 innings with an average of 57.30 and a strike rate of 89.92.
- In his ODI career, Sharma has played 227 ODI matches scoring 9,205 runs with an average of 48.96 and a strike rate of 88.9. Sharma also has 29 centuries and 43 half-centuries with 3 double centuries to his name.
- Rohit was never considered to be a Test cricketer. Rohit made his Test Debut in November 2023.
- It was the same series when Sachin Tendulkar retired. Sharma made his Test debut at Eden Gardens in Kolkata. He scored 177 on his debut match.
- It was the second-best score on debut by an Indian just Shikhar Dhawan’s score of 187.
- He scored another century in the very next match.
- Sharma was however dropped from the Test team due to inconsistency in performance. Later Sharma was selected for the 2023–19 tour of Australia.
- He became a part of the first-ever Indian team to win a test series against Australia on Australian soil.
- Rohit Sharma has played 43 Test matches in which he has scored 3047 runs with an average of 46.88. He has scored one double century, 8 centuries and 14 half-centuries.
- His high score of 212 runs came against South Africa in October 2023.
- After the innings, David Warner said that he believes that Rohit Sharma could be the one to break Brian Lara’s 400* record.
- Rohit Sharma scored his 1st outside India hundred against England on September 4, 2023, which is eventually his 8th overall Test hundred.
T20 International Career
- When it comes to T20, you can hardly find a complete opener than Rohit Sharma.
- Rohit made his T20 debut for India against England in 2023 ICC World T20 Championships but did not get an opportunity to bat.
- However, he did get an opportunity against South Africa in his second match and took it with both hands.
- Rohit played and scored an unbeaten 50 as India won by 37 runs.
- In the semi-finals against Australia, Sharma made a small cameo at the end of the innings and scored 8* off 5 balls as India won by 15 runs.
- In the finals, Rohit made another late cameo and made a crucial contribution of 30* from 15 balls.
- India won the final by 5 runs. In 2023, Sharma was used predominately as a middle-order batsman coming at number 7 or 8.
- However, under MS Dhoni’s captainship, he has promoted up the order to open the innings. This change affected not only his T20 career but the ODI career as well.
Rohit Sharma Double Centuries
- Rohit Sharma has 4 double centuries. He is the first and only player to have 3 double centuries in ODI’s.
- He has a double century in test cricket as well, which he achieved against South Africa in 2023.
- His first double hundred came against Australia in Bengaluru on 2 November 2023.
- The following year, Sharma scored 264 runs against Sri Lanka in Kolkata on 13 November 2023. By doing so, Shama became the highest individual score in ODI.
- His third double hundred came against Sri Lanka at Mohali on 13 December 2023. He scored 208* and became the first player with three double centuries.
Rohit Sharma Awards
- CEAT Indian Cricketer of the Year (2016)
- Arjuna Award (2015)
- Dilip Sardesai Award for Best Indian cricketer of the Year (2012-13)
- BCCI Special Award for scoring a world record ODI score of 264 (2014)
- ICC ODI Team of the Year: 2023, 2023, 2023, 2023
- Rohit Sharma won the Sportsman of the year award from Indian Sports Honours. (Year – 2023)
- Rohit Sharma was awarded the highest sports honor of the country, the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award in 2023.
- Awarded the Golden Bat award for scoring the most number of runs in ICC Cricket World Cup 2023.
Rohit Sharma Records
- Sharma holds the highest individual score of 264 in the ODIs.
- Rohit Sharma has scored 28 centuries in ODIs. Only two Indians ahead of him are Sachin Tendulkar and Virat Kohli.
- He is the only batsmen to score 5 centuries in the 2023 ICC Cricket World Cup.
- Rohit holds the unique record of scoring a century with a six in all three formats.
- Sharma has hit the highest number of fours (33) in an ODI match.
- He has broken the record of most runs from fours and sixes in an ODI. He has scored 186 runs via boundaries. Earlier this record was held by Shane Watson.
- Rohit holds the second-highest number of sixes in an ODI- 16.
- Sharma is the only player to score 8 150 plus scores in ODI.
- He is the second-fastest opener in the world as well as the fastest Indian opener to reach 4,000 ODI runs. He took 83 innings.
- Rohit Sharma is the second-fastest opener in the world as well as the fastest Indian opener to reach 5000 ODI runs. He took 102 innings.
- Rohit is the 2nd player to hit 3 consecutive centuries in a World Cup.
- He, along with Sachin holds the records for most centuries in the World Cup- 6.
- Sharma is the joint highest T20I run-scorer- 8944.
- Rohit is the only player to have scored 4 T20I centuries.
- Sharma has hit the most sixes in T20’s- 120.
- He is the 2nd Indian after Suresh Raina to have scored at least a century in all 3 international formats.
- Rohit Sharma is the only Indian to score a T20I century as a captain.
- He also holds the record for having the most number of half-centuries among openers in T20- 19.
- Rohit scored 2442 runs in International cricket in 2023. He went past Sanath Jayasuriya’s 2387 runs for Sri Lanka in 1997.
- He is the second player overall and first Indian to feature in 100 T20 internationals.
- Third Indian to score Two consecutive centuries in his first two test matches.
Rohit Sharma Stats
Related Tags: Rohit Sharma Biography